A Project: Remodeling 731 James, where our story begins

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Move

I am seriously beginning to question those who "move" for a living or "remodel" for a living. Sure, the paycheck may be nice, but what about their sanity? I nearly lost mine....

Although we were up to 1:30 Saturday morning packing and finishing up the house, we found the energy to crawl out of bed, throw on some jeans, and put our arm muscles to work. Within 45 minutes our belongings were carefully placed into a big ol' moving truck (that we thankfully got to borrow from Chris's grandmother), and were en route to Georgia. At that moment, I couldn't believe that I was moving yet again.

Internally, my brain was wandering a mile a minute as I drove 55 mph down the Interstate. 4 times in one year I said to myself. 4 times! From New Hampshire to Chattanooga. From Chattanooga to East Ridge. From East Ridge to Tiftonia/Lookout Valley. From Tiftonia/Lookout Valley to Rossville, Georgia. Silently, I wondered if my journey was over; if Georgia was my final destination, my official place to call home. Through tired eyes, I watched as the moving truck slowly followed behind in the rear view mirror. Metaphorically, the act of gazing in the rear-view, has been much of my life; continually moving forward yet taking the time to look back. At what? Perhaps, at once was or what I left behind. But nevertheless, I kept moving and pressed the gas pedal a little harder.  (But not too fast, I didn't want to lose my moving truck).

As I pulled into the driveway with Chris, I realized that we were home, regardless if the hallway was still heavily decorated with paint cans and splatters of primer that we neglected to clean up. I smiled to myself as we closed the doors of the car, and opened the truck revealing all of our belongings. Although I was happy, I cursed at the work we still had to do...like unpack...paint...sand...clean...

But I knew that there was only so much we could do before our bodies said: "NO MORE. I QUIT" which they undoubtedly did at 6pm Saturday evening upon hot showers and food in the belly. Always the one to prioritize, Chris set up the TV within an hour of  moving in, so we CRASHED on the couch and watched movies the rest of the night beer and wine in hand.

Ah, the simple things in life...the other shit can wait...

And to finish this post off: 




Or two cats, one magically becomes Houdini and escapes leaving the other pawing at the holes in the box confused; dumbfounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...